Wednesday 9 September 2015

Healthy snacking - Roasted chickpeas

Having started my first 'desk' job nearly a year ago, I'm quickly learning the pitfalls associated with spending your working life sat on your backside - said backside has a tendency to increase in size, along with everything else on your body.

I try to be as active as possible both at work and home, but exercise isn't always enough. Luckily for me, I work with a creative vegan who is always happy to share her uber healthy foodie ideas.

My biggest problem is snacking. In previous jobs, I've always been on my feet and on the move for a majority of the time, so picking at food was either not an option, or not a problem seeing as I burned it all off pretty quickly. Now, I'm comfortably ensconced at my desk, with a habit of absentmindedly chowing  down on anything that comes to hand, (usually of the chocolate variety, but I don't like to discriminate, crisps, cakes and biscuits are also welcome!). I know, the easy answer is to grow some self-control and simply stop, and for the most part I have, but there are always those days that come along where you can't be held accountable for what your hunger makes you do. So I started to question my friend about healthy, alternative snacks, something different to the fruit and raw vegetables that I had started to rely on to keep the chub away. She suggested a chickpeas recipe she has used, and I thought I'd give it a try. There are quite a few versions of this recipe out there and the beauty of it is that you can alter it to suit your tastes.


What you need:

  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • seasoning of your choice - cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, garlic salt, paprika etc.
  • Water for boiling
  • Salt and pepper to taste
First, you need to prep the chickpeas. Empty them into a sieve, and rinse under warm water.

Pre-heat your oven to 200c/180c (fan)/Gas mark 6. Place the chickpeas into a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Using your hands, make sure all of the chickpeas are coated.

Now flavour with the seasoning of your choice. You can use whatever flavours you like, so be creative. I really enjoyed the garlic salt taste, and the paprika flavour. Ensure the spices you are using evenly coat all the chickpeas.

Spread the chickpeas out evenly on a baking tray and place in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir them on the tray. Return to the oven for a further 12 minutes.

Once you have removed them from the oven, allow to cool. You can then box them up into snack-like portions ready for work or just when you feel peckish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment