Wednesday 13 January 2016

What a Week

As is standard after the hubbub of Christmas and New Year, the inevitable lurgy found me at the weekend. Needless to say I found myself lacking the ability to write anything worth your time over those few days, hence my absenteeism. 

Being ill is always rubbish, being ill at the weekend is worse. The time that should be spent spending quality time with loved ones, or doing something you love (or just something you need to do. Hello housework), gets frittered away on tissues, medicine, and, in my case, turning into a bored, whiny mess. I am not a good sick person.

On top of that, the week started with the saddest of news. Most people who pop by here will know I am a music fan. My CD collection is a prized possession. So to wake up and learn of the great David Bowie's untimely death was not only a shock, but pretty devastating, I'm a huge fan. The world now feels somewhat disjointed, and out of focus. It's a strange concept to some that people can become so attached to a person who they do not personally know. Yet when a person's art, their words and their presence is a constant in your periphery, I believe that warrants attachment and admiration. As others around the world express their grief, I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. I'm hoping to pop down to a local restaurant of mine on Friday evening, Herd, where Black Star will be played in its entirety, and everyone has been invited to bring their favourite Bowie records with them to be played and appreciated. If you are local and like-minded, I encourage you to go and raise a glass to a true great. To paraphrase something someone wise said this week, I'm just grateful that I was lucky enough to have breathed at the same time as him. 



Enough of the maudlin train of thought or I'll be crying into my computer. After months of trying to reinvigorate my health, it's been brought to my attention that I may be gluten intolerant, which is bloody brilliant, it's not like my entire diet is chock full of gluten or anything! So for the next few weeks, I'll be trialling a gluten-free life, which I'll be sharing with you lovely lot. By sharing, I of course mean endlessly moaning about the lack of cake/wine/biscuits/anything remotely bad for me, in my life, but as I'm the one that's got to go through it I feel it's only fair that you should shoulder some of the burden! I'll be researching some recipes and alternative foodstuffs, if I find any gems I'll let you all know. The upside of this being that hopefully all the weight I acquired over Christmas will soon be a distant, wobbly memory! Every cloud!   

No comments:

Post a Comment