Wednesday 20 January 2016

Wychwood Wonderings and no wine


Happy mid-week all! Most of us are now on that happy slip-slide towards the weekend, content that Monday can't hurt us for another few days. Unless, of course, you're one of the poor unfortunates working at the weekend. Like me.

Not that I have much to complain about. Weekend work is a rare occurrence for me these days, and the few that do get added onto the end of the working week incorporate a part of my job that I really enjoy. However, last Saturday was a real treat, so this one is bound to suffer in comparison.

Saturday afternoon/evening was spent wandering around the quite charming and very quaint Wychwood Brewery, home of some of my favourite tipples (I have a few). Tucked away in a quiet nook in Witney, Oxfordshire, Wychwood have become a serious competitor in the real ale market.
Even HRH is a fan!
Their staple, Hobgoblin, is the 2nd most popular bottled ale in the UK, 1st at Halloween, having adopted the title of unofficial Halloween beer.
Just a regular Sunday evening in...
I bought the tickets as a birthday gift, and they are a complete bargain. For £8.50 per person, you receive a tour, a drink (or two, or three), and a half pint glass, all of which made for one very happy boyfriend.
The motley crew behind the bar.
The brewery and shop are lovely. More compact than you would think, considering its output, they brew not only Wychwood and Brakspear ales, but the annual winter and summer Duchy ales for Prince Charles, the proceeds of which are donated to charity.


I'd decided, despite my official abstaining from alcohol, that I would allow myself a drink that day. It really would have been rude not to.

You start the tour in Wychwood's very own bar, where you can sit and sup a half pint of either Hobgoblin or Hobgoblin Gold. You then move onto the tour, experiencing the making progress, the ingredients, the atmosphere. Then it's back to the bar for the tasting session. Ale in shot glasses was a bit of a revelation! You get to try all of their standard drinks, and they aren't stingy. I was particularly enamored with the large ceramic Hobgoblin jug we were served from. Needless to say, if you find yourself in the Oxfordshire area, I'd recommend a visit! But be sure to book, tickets sell incredibly quickly.
Ale shot anyone?!
Apart from my mild deviation, I've managed to stay away from alcohol, and I am feeling all the better for it. Plus I have no morning-after paranoia, which is a definite plus!

Continuing on the healthier way of life, I've introduced bee pollen into my diet. Just half a teaspoon scattered on my morning yoghurt, with a handful of mixed nuts, or a plum sliced on top has really improved my energy levels as a result of the extra B vitamins. I'd recommend it to anyone struggling with fatigue, particularly in the cold, dark weather we're having right now. It's also beneficial to purchase locally sourced pollen, as it aids in immunising you from local allergens. 

As a side note, keep your eyes open over the next couple of weeks, as I'll be adding to my Independent Business series with a visit to Kels Belles Beauty in Bedford.


2 comments:

  1. It would have been SO rude to not have a drink :p sounds amazing!

    Heba xx || The Heba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! My conscience is clearer now! If you're ever in the area do give it a go, it's lovely! xx

      Delete