Wednesday 17 February 2016

The Falcon, Bletsoe

The past couple of weeks have been packed with goings-on, so please forgive my absence. I've been indulging my social side a little too much! But this does mean that I have a lot to catch you up on.

Indulgence has definitely been the theme for the last fortnight. Catch-ups, meals, visiting friends, and more on the way, I'm starting to feel frayed around the edges. But I wouldn't change it!

Not that all of my time has been spent exerting myself, or doing particularly strenuous activities, there has been some much-needed down time too. Some of which was spent enjoying a delicious Sunday lunch at a gorgeous pub in Bedfordshire.

Venturing out for a Sunday roast is always a dangerous thing to do. Appealing in thought, they never quite live up to expectation, with nostalgic thoughts of your mum/nan/aunt's Sunday fare springing to mind, and the knowledge that you have just paid for something not up to their standards. That was not the case when we took a trip the The Falcon in Bletsoe, a beautiful 17th Century pub set on the banks of the River Great Ouse.

Having discovered that I'm gluten intolerant, I've become increasingly wary about eating out. Despite the fact that many places offer gluten-free options, they are frequently limited, bland or just unpleasant. I needn't have worried. The Falcon managed to cater to the changes I needed, without it feeling like I'd drawn the short straw.

Feeling indulgent (there's that word again), we had baked camembert to start. Served with roasted garlic and a fig jam, it was delicious. Gooey hot cheese, fragrant garlic and sweet figs, it was delicious.

I always become indecisive when it comes to having a roast. Do I take the safe bet and have the chicken? Or do I risk the beef, hoping it doesn't arrive grey and dry? (I genuinely do put this much thought in when it comes to food. Don't judge me!) In this case, I was more trusting, as I'm lucky enough to know the chef! I've been treated to Martyn's cooking for years, so I knew I was in for a treat. I opted for the roast beef with all the trimmings, which I could have, because all came in a gluten-free option. As usual he didn't disappoint. It was one of the loveliest Sunday lunches I've had for a while (sorry Mum). Reasonably priced, it didn't break the bank, it's a beautiful setting, and the staff are lovely. All in all a perfect Sunday afternoon.


Had the weather been warmer, I'd have been tempted to go for a stroll after lunch. As said above, the pub is set on the river, and is in a beautiful rural location, so if you decide to visit, why not go for a wander to work off your lunch?

Take a closer at The Falcon here - http://www.thefalconatbletsoe.co.uk/, in case you don't fancy a roast. But who wouldn't?!

No comments:

Post a Comment